Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Steve Jobs






Steve Jobs


A huge thank you to all the people who contributed Apple computer products for my most recent assemblage! Here it is: Steve Jobs- made completely from Apple products, pieces, and parts. It will be on display at Artfields in Lake City, SC, April 19-28th at Fairview Framers, 102 East Main Street. For more information, go to www.artfieldssc.org.


I chose to create an image of Steve Jobs not only because he has made a huge impact on our culture through his work at Apple, but because of his artistic sensibility. People will remember him as visionary and innovative, and for his relentless pursuit to create products at the highest standard. As an artist, I am inspired by his passion and creativity and recognize that each product is a work of art.


The pieces you don't recognize come from inside the various products- I spent a lot of time taking MacBooks, mice, keyboards, and various adaptors apart. (Note: The background is made up of microprocessing chips which are the brain of the computer- as Steve Jobs was the brain behind Apple during his time there.) I have developed a deep respect for the quality and construction of all of the products. When I began collecting material last Spring, I thought it would be easy to find what I needed through e-cycle programs. I prefer to use post-consumer materials and am happy to use what no one wants or needs anymore- including broken devices. I had no idea it would be so difficult to get my hands on Apple products and hit a wall everywhere I turned- until I turned to the community. There is no way I could have done it without your help! 


Thank you: 

Wegener Media (Where I hit the jackpot searching through Dave's warehouse!!)

The Smart Phone Medic

Silicone Solutions

L2 Technologies

Evans Jenkins

Sharon Licata

Shannon Chapman
 

And thank you to the folks who left things at my studio door
anonymously- I'd love to add you to the list!



No comments:

Post a Comment